Keeping up with current digital trends can be as difficult as keeping up with the Kardashians (sorry Michael). Knowing which of the latest social media trends will stick around can seem as daunting as staying up to date with which Kardashian is currently pregnant. To help your business stay in the know and on top of trends, we’ve put together a digital checklist for your company to follow in 2018.
A Digital Strategist’s List of Must-Haves in 2018 to Improve Your Company’s Online Presence:
2017 brought a surge in online mobile use, forcing responsive website design to the forefront of digital strategy. With a responsive website, users are able to view your site correctly, improving its bounce rate along with the time they spend on the website.
Not sure if your company’s website is responsive? Here’s a quick test: pull your site up on your phone. If you find you need to use the zoom function to read the text on the page or if the website elements look out of place, then your site is not responsive. Looking to increase responsiveness? The Moak Group can help.
A Website that Represents your Company:
When users arrive at your company’s website, they need to know what you’re all about in a matter of seconds. This first impression is not only impacted by the text on your site, but also with the supporting graphics. Yes, a cool picture of the Capitol might draw in users in the DC area; but if your company is not involved in politics, the photo might mislead potential clients.
It can be tempting to fill websites with stock photos, however personal images do a better job at representing your company. Users visiting your site will not only get a better understanding of what you do but also get a look at the individuals that make it all possible. Learn more about must-haves for your company website here.
Social Media Presence:
The sheer abundance of social networks out there today can be overwhelming. Looking to improve your presence? Start small. Focus on two networks to promote your brand, then slowly build from there. Social networks allow you to directly interact with potential clients from around the world and can be invaluable when utilized properly.
- Facebook is an obvious and solid choice. Of the 7 billion people in the world, around 1 billion have a Facebook account. A Facebook business page should act as an extension of your company’s website, with messaging and graphics consistent among all platforms.
- Twitter is an essential network for any business that deals with news and trends. It is also the fastest way to respond to any customer services inquiries.
- Instagram is a great way to visually represent your brand with followers that are more likely to engage with your posts. If your company does not have a constant stream of compelling visuals, however, you should consider skipping this network.
- Linkedin is a social network for professionals. This platform can be an excellent tool for recruiting new employees to your business. Having a page can increase your brand’s searchability, and help establish critical online relationships.
So now you have a beautiful, responsive website, and a few social networks to go along with it. Separately, these are great online tools. Together, they create your digital brand.
Now, you need to connect these assets:
- Make sure all social networks have a link to your website. These links should be easily accessible on every page of the site (the footer is a great home for links).
- Conversely, social networks should be used to drive traffic to your website. You can connect the two by promoting website pages and having a link to your company’s site embedded in your social account’s profiles.
- If you have a blog component on your site, include quick links on each post that will allow users to share your content on their preferred social media platform.
Latest posts by Rebecca McTear (see all)
- Designing for Accessibility - September 14, 2018
- We’re Gonna Need a Bigger Folder: Tips for being Design Ready for Any Occasion. - July 24, 2018
- The Do’s and Don’ts of the Design Process - June 13, 2018